How to apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa?

| Author: | Posted in Marriage

International marriages become more popular in the United States. People use online dating services or marriage agencies to meet someone overseas and bring this person to the United States to create a family. International marriages have very strong family ties and a very low percentage of divorces.

Many U.S. citizens who met their loved ones overseas and wish to bring them to the United States are concerned about what type of visa may be appropriate for the foreign fiance(e) to enter the United States. If a couple plans to get married in the United States, the best option is to apply for a K-1 fiance(e) visa. This visa is designed specifically for a foreign born man (referred as fiance) or women (referred as fiancee) who has met a U.S. citizen fiance(e) and wish to come to the United States to marry him or her.

Usually, the entire K-1 visa process may take anywhere between 3 to 9 months. Some people think that obtaining a different type of the U.S. visa may be easier and less time consuming. This is true, but it does not apply to those who plan to come to the United States for the purpose of marriage. For example, if a foreign fiance(e) comes to the United States on a tourist visa with the intention to marry a U.S. citizen and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) discovers it, the foreign fiance(e) can face a severe punishment for committing visa fraud. He or she may be deported from the United States and may be barred from coming to the United States at all. So, the right way to bring a foreign born fiance(e) to the United States is to apply for a K-1 visa. In addition, if the foreign fiance(e) has minor children, they can come to the United States with their parent on K-2 visas. K-1 and K-2 visas can be obtained simultaneously.

A K-1 fiance(e) visa is valid only for one entry to the United States. Upon arrival to the United States, a foreign born fiance(e) should either marry a U.S. citizen within 90 days of arrival or leave the United States. After marriage takes place, the foreign spouse can apply for a Green Card (known as Permanent Resident Card). Green Card will allow the foreign spouse to permanently stay in the United States and become a U.S. citizen in the future.

Doing all the paperwork for a K-1 visa by yourself is not difficult as long as you know what papers, documents and forms you have to submit and where to file them. Downloadable do-it-yourself e-kits (also called Guides) can be very useful in this situation. A K-1 Fiance(e) Visa guide will help you to learn all the rules and requirements for a K-1 visa. You can download one at website. A standard E-kit usually contains information about the visa process, list of the required documentation, all the forms that you need, detailed instructions on how to fill out the forms, sample completed forms and sample interview questions.

To read more information about U.S. visa, please visit the U.S. Immigration Services website.

Related Links


This author has published 21 articles so far. More info about the author is coming soon.

Leave a Reply

Before you post, please prove you are sentient.

What is 6 multiplied by 7?